Quick Links

*** Pictures *** Videos *** DIY *** About Me

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Updates

Just a quickie update, my redneck/off grid washing machine is working great, I am able to spend an afternoon washing towels and clothes, I hang the towels directly on the clothes line, the clothes, I go ahead and place them on (plastic) hangars, this way there are no marks from the clothes pins, when the clothes are dry, I just bring them in and they are ready to be put away. I tried something a little different on my last go, I used white vinegar in the rinse, it's supposed to help remove any residual soap, and it is supposed to help keep the clothes softer. The smell is supposed to vanish once the clothes are dry, notice I said "supposed to", I found an ever so slight vinegar scent remained, it's very faint, if someone hugged me, they probably wouldn't smell anything. It may be that I used too much, I used about  a half cup per rinse, since I'm using the sink to rinse, it's not that much water, I'll try again and use less, maybe a tablespoon or two. I'll report on the results. All in all, I am very happy with my clothes washing setup, now I just have to get PB to re-hang my long clothes line.

I only have one bottle of coffee liquor left, no I didn't drink it all, I gave 2 bottles away. One friend who received a bottle came over yesterday with her hubby, she carried that bottle in her hand, she wanted to drink some with me. I didn't have any milk, so I made up some coffee, put extra creamer in it and put in some coffee liquor from my remaining bottle (her bottle is for her to drink). It was really good, and we were good, we only drank one each, though I offered to make another. LOL! I purchased some vodka so that I can make the recipe again, this time with the correct ingredients. PB has been wondering when I'll make this batch, he doesn't really like the Everclear taste, but thinks he'll like it made with vodka, I'll post the results when I make another batch.

My blueberry twigs are doing pretty well, they are putting on more leaves. I will be checking the mail today, hopefully there will be more twigs out there, though if they are, I'll feel bad as I haven't checked the mail in a few days, it's a 12 mile round trip over rough, unpaved, dirt/rocky mountain roads, so no, I don't check my mail everyday. If the twigs are in my mailbox, then they would have been sitting inside there since Thursday or Friday, I can't exactly remember the exact day I checked it. (I checked and they weren't in the box.)

My garden is doing OK, the strawberries are going crazy and the tomatoes have lots of flowers on them, it will not be long before we start harvesting those. I need to get out there and plant more stuff and soon.

Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day, we didn't do anything special, well, with the exception of sitting with our friends drinking homemade coffee liquor.



All written text and audio podcasts from this blog are copyrighted and owned by Wretha unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved, You may download or copy for your own personal enjoyment, but please do not distribute (text or audio) without written permission. You may post a portion of this (or any) message from this blog on another site as long as you include a link back to this site and the original message. Wretha, properly pronounced wreetha, (included for the text reader), Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. HELLO, IT SOUNDS LIKE EVERYTHING IS GOING GREAT ON YOUR HOMESTEAD, I STILL LIKE THAT REDNECK WASHING MACHINE I AM PLANNING ON SHOWING TO MY HUSBAND SO HE CAN MAKE ME ONE AS A BACKUP OR FOR WHEN WE HAVE NO POWER. i AM HAPPY THAT YOUR GARDEN IS STARTING TO BLOOM YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE HARVESTING YOUR PRODUCE I KNOW I DO.i LIKE READING YOUR BLOG EVERYDAY, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checked with my sister-in-law over the week-end about possibility of her setting up web page to sell blueberry twigs from Texas. She LOL!!! Answer was no!

    However, I did get her to at least consider making up a care package for you. She said not right now busy picking blackberries at tail end of season. They have been very dry in Angelina County. Rain all around them but none on their spot. I'll send you a picture next time I am up there. Right now they are concerned with their bees. Not collecting any honey from the hives so the little buggers will have something to survive on. Making up sugar water for them. We will be taking sugar [when grocery stores have it on sell for less than a $1 my wife buys] up for the bees.
    I'll send email so you can give me postal address for blueberry care package and will email you when it goes in mail. Don't hold your breath though!

    ReplyDelete

SPAMMERS BEWARE - your garbage will NEVER SHOW!

I love comments, but not spam, all comments are moderated, your comment will appear shortly. Thanks.