Quick Links

*** Pictures *** Videos *** DIY *** About Me

Monday, April 21, 2008

Thanks, Magic Jack and the Garden

First I want to thank everyone who joined the PTC sites from my links below, this will not only make money for you, it will help me tremendously, the money earned goes toward my internet expenses, it helps to keep me on line and posting here. :) If you have any questions about how to use the PTC sites, or want to know some tricks that I use to make more money (all LEGAL, I don't do anything that would jeopardize my membership), just drop me a note via email

wretha @ gmail . com (remove the spaces)

and I'll be more than happy to help. :)

Phone

I went ahead and ordered the Magic Jack, I figured it would be the best thing to do, if it works for me (and I hope it does), I can drop my cell phone and will not have that expense every month, I will have only one yearly charge for the phone service. The only problem with it so far is they do not have a local phone number for me, so I'll just get a phone number that is local for my friends and family back in the DFW area, that will not be any different from what I have now with my cell phone. The startup cost on it was about $50.00, that paid for the unit, the shipping and the first year's service. I did pay a bit extra to get the expedited shipping, I normally don't do that, but it gave me a tracking number so I will know when it gets to my mail box, we don't check our mail box very often, it's a 12+ mile round trip to the mailbox, on twisty, winding, up and down rocky dirt roads. MJ is giving a 30 day free trial, they don't charge your credit card until about day 31, I'm not sure if that is from the date ordered or the date delivered, either way I should know within a day or so when it shows up in my mail box so I can start using it as soon as possible. When we were in town the other day, I picked up a cheap corded phone, we left all of our phones in Irving when we moved, we didn't figure we would need them out here, my how things can change... :)


The Garden

We have been working hard on the garden to get it ready to plant, I wish I could have planted before now, but we didn't have the fencing complete, and I can't run the risk that something would get in and tear things up.

We just got back in from working on the fencing for the last couple of hours, we were putting up the chicken wire over the top to keep the birds out. We got most of it covered, we have to go back and buy more chicken wire, bummer... oh well, that just means another trip into town, that's not such a bad thing...

Got pix of the garden, don't laugh, this is going to feed us soon! :)

Ok, I know this isn't the garden, but I snapped a few pix of Bob and the new bedroom extension on the way to the garden.




This is the garden area, we are completely enclosing it to protect the veggies from the roving critters who would love to eat what I plant. We used concrete reinforcement wire around the fence posts, we used chicken wire over the top, the red panels on each end came from a Best Buy where I used to work, they were going from red wire panels to putty colored ones, (it showed less dust) so they were going to throw these away, I rescued them from the trash compactor. Along the bottom of the concrete wire, we are using fine mesh hardware cloth.







It's hard to see, but there is a layer of straw inside the garden area where I am going to plant, that is the Ruth Stout method of gardening, her No Work Garden book is a real gem, I highly recommend it.




.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

4 Comments

Anonymous the texan said...

I like your blog and your Mtn. home looks neat. How thick are you making the concrete walls?

April 22, 2008 12:48 PM

Delete
Blogger Wretha said...

Hi the texan,

The walls are between 7 and 12 inches thick. Thanks for leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! :)

Wretha

April 22, 2008 2:05 PM

Delete
Blogger HOLLIS said...

Wretha,
I saw the post about the auger. Something that might be a good care package from your family is the Garden Claw. I use it at my house. I works great. Just little tid bit, might help.

May 22, 2008 10:39 AM

Delete
Blogger Wretha said...

Hi Hollis, yeah, I remember the commercials for the Garden Claw, they always demonstrated it on dirt that looked as if it didn't need tilling (grin), I guess it wouldn't have sold very well if they showed it on hard, rocky clay! I'm glad to hear it works great for you, how is your soil?

My dad is coming out this summer and is bringing me something that works great, a Mantis tiller, it's light weight and easy to use.

Wretha

May 22, 2008 12:51 PM

6 comments:

  1. I like your blog and your Mtn. home looks neat. How thick are you making the concrete walls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi the texan,

    The walls are between 7 and 12 inches thick. Thanks for leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! :)

    Wretha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wretha,
    I saw the post about the auger. Something that might be a good care package from your family is the Garden Claw. I use it at my house. I works great. Just little tid bit, might help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hollis, yeah, I remember the commercials for the Garden Claw, they always demonstrated it on dirt that looked as if it didn't need tilling (grin), I guess it wouldn't have sold very well if they showed it on hard, rocky clay! I'm glad to hear it works great for you, how is your soil?

    My dad is coming out this summer and is bringing me something that works great, a Mantis tiller, it's light weight and easy to use.

    Wretha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog. We were using Magic Jack for a week or so. Even when it was working, there was at least a 30-60 second delay on outgoing calls, as well as incoming... you answer the phone and hear nothing (on the callers end it is still ringing, even though you have picked up). Then it just stopped working altogether. Customer care does not really ‘care’. Check out this great site www.pissedconsumer.com for other complaints about the company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment Darvin, it's true that Magic Jack isn't the best, not even close, fortunately I haven't had the problems you describe, their customer service is horrible, I have gotten much more help from the unofficial Magic Jack forum. I went to the site you list, the only problem I have with a site like that is they only have complaints, there are no satisfied customer experiences there, I much prefer a site like opinions.com to find out what people think of products, companies and services, it's much more balanced (positive AND negative reports), there will ALWAYS be dissatisfied customers with any company/product/service.

    Bottom line is it works well enough for me, not perfect, about like my cell phone, without the monthly bill.

    Wretha

    ReplyDelete

SPAMMERS BEWARE - your garbage will NEVER SHOW!

I love comments, but not spam, all comments are moderated, your comment will appear shortly. Thanks.